- The function of carbs is:
- Carbs are the second most efficient form of energy behind protein. True
- The body first uses protein for energy, then burns carbs when protein is all used up.
True or False
- When fat is metabolized, it results in the formation of ketones. If this
process continues, the body goes into ________ causing the kidneys to excrete more sodium and potassium which could eventually
cause coma or death.
- Sugars are categorized into 3 types, name them.
- Blood sugar is also called _______.
- The sugar in milk is called ________.
- The sugar found in fruits is called ________.
- The sweetest sugar comes from ________.
- This is the main source of energy for the CNS and the
brain. It circulates in the blood.
- Glucose + glucose = ______
- Glucose + fructose = _______
- Glucose + galactose = ______
- The type of sugar found in beer is ______.
- Name 3 complex carbohydrates.
- Glucose is converted to _____ and stored by the liver
and muscles for later use.
- Plant sugars such as beans, peas and peanuts are called
- Fiber that dissolves in water/liquids is _______. Give an example.
- Fiber that does NOT dissolve in liquids and provides
structure is ______. Give an example.
- ________ intake is very important with increased fiber
- Name the functions of fiber.
- What is important to remember when beginning a high-fiber
- Name 5 Health benefits of soluble fiber.
- Name benefits of insoluble fiber.
- _____ is digested in the mouth by mixing with saliva,
in the stomach by mixing with HCL, in the small intestines, and in the large intestines.
- The condition of ______ ___________ often requires that
you take a pill, not eat certain foods, eat more calcium, eat yogurt, and add acidophilus to the body to increase bacterial
flora. It is common over the age of 50.
- Normal blood sugar levels are what range:
- The conversion of glucose to glycogen by the liver is
- The conversion of glycogen back to glucose is called
- The conversion of fat & protein to glucose is called
- Once glucose is converted to fat, it can be converted
back to glucose through the conversion called glucogenesis. True or False.
- Name the condition usually controlled by just diet which
causes increased heart rate, weakness, anxiety and hunger.
- Name the condition which triggers the release of epinephrine
& glucagons to trigger the liver to convert glycogen back to glucose and release it to the body.
- Name the condition which is regulated by the hormone
- This is the stress hormone which is a quick source of
- This condition is a metabolic disorder of carbs leading
to altered glucose regulation & utilization…where the Islets of Langerhans don’t function properly?
- What diet would be utilized by people who suffer from
the condition in #36?
- What about your intake is regulated while on the diet
- What condition has an onset age of under 20, is sometimes
brought on by viral infections which affected the pancreas, and requires injections?
- What condition has an average onset over the age of 40,
is attributed to obesity, and may require oral medications, may involve genetics, and is linked to increased blood pressure,
triglycerides, cancer and heart disease?
- Name 3 ways we regulate diabetes?
- The ______ ______
calculates how food raises blood sugar.
- Food that raises blood sugar fast such as table sugar,
white bread and potatoes are considered ____ _____ foods.
- Foods that raise blood sugar slowly such as whole wheat
bread, whole milk, green peas, oranges, apples, which all make you feel fuller longer and give improved control over blood
sugar are called _____ _____ foods.
- Simple sugar often causes this condition ______ ______.
- When lots of sugar is consumed in place of the foods
you should be eating, it’s known as _______ ________.
- Name 5 benefits of starch and complex carbs.
- Artificial sweeteners provide half the # of calories
as regular sugar. True or False.
- Type I diabetes is when the pancreas does produce insulin,
but just not enough to maintain the body needs. True or False.
- Artificial sweeteners have been proven to be a possible
cause of cancer. True or False
- Name the condition caused when babies are unable to break
- Name the artificial sweetener. Sweet-n-low is _________. Equal is _________. Splenda is _________.
- Sugar alcohols contain no calories and have been proven
to assist with weight loss. True or False
- Name 2 sugar alcohols.
- Sugar alcohols have a LOW or HIGH glycemic index. (circle one)
- True or False.
Excess carbs are converted to glucose and are excreted in the urine.
- Increasing _______ has important benefits of decreasing risk of bowel disease, heart disease and colon
- Excess fiber intake can cause constipation. True or False.
- True or false.
Decreased levels of carbs can lead to tissue breakdown, which then leads to ketosis and metabolic acidosis.
- True or false.